Wednesday, January 2, 2013

NEW YEAR, NEW ME

First, I have to acknowledge how good 2012 has been to me. I'm usually a negative person that looks down on myself and I am going to change the way I look at life by reflecting on how much I have achieved in this last year. In April, I finished my Bachelor's degree in Radiologic Sciences. Although it didn't get me a pay raise or a management position, it was more of a personal goal to focus on while Kevin was deployed. I also started a new job at Alliance Urgent Care, where I enjoy the different scenery from the hospital. I have made some great friends there.  In June, Kevin & I purchased our first home! I can't tell you how many houses we had looked at before we finally found the "one." Some we didn't even bother getting out of the car! In July, I traveled with my Army band on tour for the very last time. It was a very bitter sweet moment. The 395th has been my family since I was 18 years old. I will cherish every moment that I have had with them. In August, I transferred into the Air Force National Guard. It has been a goal of mine for quite a few years. Nowadays, it's all about who you know to get what you want. Also in August, I traded in my Mazda 3 for a 2010 Toyota 4Runner and it's ah-mazing. My fear of driving in the snow has been slowly diminishing thanks to the 4WD. In November, I flew to Texas to meet with my previous co-workers and have a relaxing girl's getaway weekend in Marble Falls. It felt so good to see these ladies again and hope to continue our annual reunion each coming year. At the end of August, Kevin & I traveled with some friends to Cancun, Mexico, which was a great time to finish 7 books. I love to read. And finally, in December, my childhood friend Brittany Dilley came to visit me for an entire week! We accomplished so much! She just left today and I miss her already. 

New goals for 2013: Be healthier, stress less, further my education, travel the world, and grow closer to God. 

Kevin & I have decided to change our way of eating. I wouldn't call it a diet bc it's a lifestyle change. I am so sick of the way I feel after stuffing my face with processed food. I hate the feeling of being so full I want to lie down and sleep. I have come to realize that I love the way I feel when I eat lighter and eating natural, unprocessed foods. I already have high blood pressure, I don't need diabetes as well (runs in the family). Therefore, this new year is a new start for me to focus on my health, starting with a detox (don't mind our friend Z, lol):

It's simple:
2 lemons, 1/2 cucumber, 10-12 mint leaves, and 3qts water fuse overnight to create a natural detox, helping to flush impurities out of your system.

Due to my busy work schedule, it's very difficult for me to find the time to cook a healthy meal. Therefore, I have to prepare my meals for the week on Sunday, my only day off usually. I try to have a salad ready at all times in my fridge. And keep in mind that just bc you're eating a salad, doesn't mean it's healthy for you. Salad dressing can really dampen your healthy meal. I found a homemade salad dressing that is so healthy you can drink straight out of it. (Not really) 


1 cup olive oil, 1 cup red wine vinegar, 2 1/2 tsp. garlic powder, 2 1/2 tsp. dried oregano, 2 1/2 tsp. dried basil, 2 tsp. pepper, 2 tsp. salt, 2 tsp. onion powder, 2 tsp. Dijon-style mustard, Mix together and shake well. Store at room temperature tightly covered. While sitting it will eventually mix.

This week I plan on making paleo: orange chicken, broccoli beef, buffalo wings, grilled pineapple, "green" drink, and a colorful salad. 


That's all for today, more next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment