Thursday, January 3, 2013

Day 3 of eating like a caveman: the Paleo way.

Last night for dinner, Kevin & I went to Texas Roadhouse to use our gift card that we have received for Christmas. I was worried about being tempted into eating badly, especially those yummy rolls with cinnamon butter. It was for sure a test for the both of us. However, we did so good. He ordered a 6oz sirloin, veggies, and a salad with no cheese and croutons. I ordered the veg plate with green beans, veggies, salad no cheese or croutons w/ olive oil and vinegar, and a plain sweet potato. The rolls were never touched! Yay for us =) I read in Bob Harper's book The Skinny Rules, that you should go to bed a little hungry. I definitely went to bed that way and woke up feeling so good.

This morning we had our natural detox water (see pic from previous post). It was actually very tasty. In fact we filled it again with water for tomorrow morning. For breakfast we had 2 hard boiled eggs and a huge green drink that was very nutritional: 



The recipe for the green drink:

1 Cup frozen pineapple.
1 Cup frozen banana
2 Cups spinach
1 Cup water
Blend on high

Finished product:


This drink was so good! Honestly I was worried about the amount of spinach that was called for, but you don't even taste it! I liked it so much I made it again for lunch accompanied by a larabar!



For a snack I ate some beef jerky. Kevin & I spent the ENTIRE day priming our bedroom walls. This kept our mind off food and gave us a bit of an arm workout. 2 Gallons of paint later and we have finished!

Kevin made Paleo Orange Chicken for dinner tonight. If you know me, then you will know that my favorite food is chinese food. It's the half asian in me. It was delicious too!

 Paleo Orange Chicken Recipe:
  • 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs (cut into bite size pieces)
  • 3 T fat (coconut oil works well here)
  • juice of 2 oranges*
  • zest from 1 orange
  • 1 t fresh ginger
  • 3 T coconut aminos or wheat-free soy sauce
  • 1 t chili garlic sauce or sriracha
  • 3 green onions, chopped
Directions:
In a medium size sauce pot, add the orange juice, zest, ginger, coconut aminos and chili garlic sauce or sriracha. Set over medium heat and let simmer to reduce and thicken while the chicken cooks. In a saute pan, heat 3 T of the fat of your choice, over medium high heat. Add the chopped chicken thighs and cook until a nice brown crust has developed on the chicken pieces, about 6 minutes. Add the chicken to the sauce pot and stir to coat with the orange sauce. Serve topped with sliced green onions. *Taste your oranges. If they don’t taste orange-y, then neither will this dish. Use tangerines if you gotta or add a teaspoon of sweetener until you’re satisfied with the flavor.

I found this recipe on the following website: http://www.health-bent.com/poultry/paleo-orange-chicken. This website has a lot of great free paleo recipes! Will definitely be using this website a lot!

I also went ahead and made tomorrow's lunch: Mixed Salad.
Recipe:
Mixed greens
Boiled Egg
Cherry tomatoes
Cucumber
Avocado
Homemade salad dressing (See previous post)

This weekend I have drill, which will be challenging due to the fact that I won't be home to cook. My plan is to pack a lunch for both Sat & Sun, and possibly have dinner packed as well if the hotel has a microwave. I hope all goes well.

Until next time =)


1 comment:

  1. AWESOME!! I love this. Keep up the great work! I LOVE paleo. I feel so good at the end of the day knowing only healthy and wholesome foods are being eaten! Hope you reach your goals!

    ReplyDelete